WorksCREATIVE | RESEARCH
BackgroundI'm a PhD candidate at UC Berkeley in the Graduate School of Education, due to file my dissertation entitled "Drumball: Digital drum talk as a medium to promote multimodal literacy and socio-emotional development of children" in December 2020. I'm advised by Jabari Mahiri and currently conduct independent research on early literacy at the Urban Griot Playground, focused on the design of a tangible rhythm-mediated interface (the Drumball) and the development of an interactive drum-based language learning web game app. I received my Masters in Information Management and System from the iSchool in 2009 and previously earned a Masters in Humanities from the University of Chicago (2003).
As an educational technologist, I am very much interested in how individual and community and technology development efforts in schools or community-based programs are impacted by the kind of cultural knowledge and tools available in the environment and the types of processes/structures that are put in place to help people create new meaning and possibilities for knowing and sharing knowledge. As a researcher in drummologie, I am investigating how a drum-based pedagogy could empower young learners through culturally-grounded approaches, strategies and tools operationalized in the environment to build community and support teaching and learning.
My long-term career aspirations beyond the doctoral degree are to contribute to the transformation of educational policy, teaching and leadership praxis, both in-school and out-of-school, by applying my skills as an artist, leader, researcher, educator and technologist. In my view, the goal of education should be aimed at transforming society by developing learners into leaders who will work together to address our future's greatest challenges.
* Tchetgen, P. (2020). Designing Transformation Learning to Prepare Social Justice Leaders. Principal Leadership Institute Impact Report.
* Cheung, R., Tchetgen, P. (2020). Laying the Foundation (LtF): A Framework for Integrating Performative Modalities in Social Justice School Leadership Programs. Berkeley Principal Leadership Institute.
* Tchetgen, P. (2019). DRUMBALL: Multimodal Meaning Production through Digital Drum Talk. ACM C&C 2019 Conference Proceedings. San Diego.
* Tchetgen, P. (2017). Design and Implementation of a Digital Orality Hypermedia System. ACM C&C 2017 Conference Proceedings. Singapore.
* Tchetgen, P. (2020). Designing transformational learning to prepare social justice leaders. Mini-Research Symposium, PLI
* Tchetgen, P. (2018). DRUMBALL Project. RILE Conference 2018 Poster Session. Stanford Graduate School of Education.
* Mahiri J., Tchetgen, P. (2018) Embodying Literacy – Rhythms of Learning through Digital Drum Talk. Graduate Course in International Multicultural Education. University of San Francisco.
* Pearce L., Crisostomo J., Langin-Hooper S., Schmitz P. and Tchetgen P. (2009). Tools for Social Network Analysis of Ancient Texts. - HART Initiative symposium - Berkeley, CA.
* Binstock E, Tchetgen, P. (2006). Media/Arts/Critical Literacy Curriculum: Learning and Teaching in the Jail School Paper Presentation: Engaging and Educating Learners with Media - American Educational Research Association (AERA) - Chicago, IL.
* Shapiro B., Thomas K. and Tchetgen P. Digital Youth Afterschool Program”. (2006). Poster Session at 7th International Conference of the Learning Sciences at Indiana University - Bloomington, IN.
* Computational Poetry and literary art: Tchetgen, P. (2018). Alpha Riddims. Taper #1. Cambridge, MA.
* Poetry: Tchetgen, P. (2003) The Wind. Contrary Magazine. Chicago, IL.
Multimodal Media Productions
* kwe, (2011). “Dirges of Becoming” (Book/CD). Afro Roots Hop Press, Boston, MA.
* kwe, (2018). Music is Healing (Live Radio Broadcast – 2 episodes). WMBR 88.1FM Cambridge.
* Tchetgen, P. & Self & Lyric (undergraduate course) (2017) – The Wellness Guide (Podcast). http://wordsoundlife.berkeley.edu/podcasts
* kwe (2014). Re:turn to the Healing Grounds. (Poetry/Fantasy Short Film). Word. Sound. Life. http://vimeo.com/78413806
* Manilla, B., Tchetgen, P., Davila, V., Filucci, S., Sherr, I., Palta, R., Samba, A., Geiger, K., Pickoff-White, L., Palta, R. (2008). Taboo Topics. North Gate Radio. KALX 90.7FM Berkeley.
View Full CV